You’ve probably heard the story where a couple of people in a bar turned down an offer to buy into Trivial Pursuit for $10 before its launch. I’ve no idea whether its true, but I’ve got a equally good idea. If you’d like to invest (say) ten Blackwells, I’ll count you among the board of directors for the company. One of the great things about Blackwells is that since I can print them off myself, you don’t have to send a thing.
So, what’s the game?
Fortune Cookie Stories.
It’s easy. All you have to do is collect the proverbs from fortune cookies and make a story. One of the great things about these stories is that you don’t have to bother with all that “show don’t tell” stuff – feel free to “tell” away. Metaphors, sayings, and euphemisms are all fair game. You have to be fairly lax with the idea of “story,” and naturally, “in bed” can be appended to any cookie (or “in the playground” if you’re in a family group). Points should be awarded for an inciting incident or darkest moment, and after that you’re free to make up the rules as you go.
Since you may not actually be eating Chinese food at this moment, here are a few sayings to get you started.
- Flattery will go far tonight.
- A thrilling time is in your immediate future.
- An admirer will soon send you a sign of affection.
- Plan for many pleasures ahead.
- Your everlasting patience will be rewarded sooner or later.
- A pleasant surprise is in store for you.
- A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind, and won’t change the subject.
- As the purse is emptied the heart is filled.
- Love deeply.
- Be mischievous and you will not be lonesome.
- Do not mistake temptation for opportunity.
- Pray for what you want, but work for the things you need.
- Ideas are like children; there are none so wonderful as your own.
- The greatest danger could be your stupidity.
- He who laughs at himself never runs out of things to laugh at.
- Love is for the lucky and the brave.
- If you continually give, you will continually have.
- The one you love is closer than you think.
- It doesn’t matter.
- You can always find happiness at work on Friday.
- Your heart is pure, and your mind clear, and your soul devout.
Let me know what you come up with …